:::: MENU ::::

Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes 07-01-2013

  1. Attendance

    Name

    Title

    Organization

    Eric Lindberg

    President

    Greg Moore

    Vice President

    Elk River

    Joanna Yates

    Secretary

    Erica Engquist

    Treasurer

    Soaring Eagle

    Mark Wallace

    Mary Willis

    Elk River

    Gil Willis

    Elk River

    Ryan Dobbins

    Snowshoe

    Melissa Dobbins

    Snowshoe

    1. Meeting Location

    Elk River Touring Center, Slatyfork, West Virginia

    1. Meeting Start

    Meeting Schedule Start: 6:00 PM

    Meeting Actual Start: 6:08 PM

    Continue Reading

Meeting Minutes 05-21-2013

  1. Attendance

    Name

    Title

    Organization

    Eric Lindberg

    President

    Rob Robinson

    Snowshoe

    Joanna Yates

    Secretary

    Philip Yates

    Snowshoe

    Erica Engquist

    Treasurer

    Soaring Eagle

    1. Meeting Location

    Dirt Bean; Marlinton, West Virginia

    Continue Reading

Meeting Minutes 05-06-2013

  1. Attendance

    Name

    Title

    Organization

    Eric Lindberg

    President

    Darrell Grubb

    Snowshoe

    Joanna Yates

    Secretary

    Philip Yates

    Snowshoe

    Scott Guyette

    Snowshoe

    Greg Moore

    Vice President

    Elk River

    Thurston Willis

    Elk River

    Chris Spence

    Erica Engquist

    Treasurer

    Soaring Eagle

    1. Meeting Location

    Building: Linwood Library, Conference Room

    1. Meeting Start

    Meeting Schedule Start: 6:30 PM

    Meeting Actual Start: 6:45 PM

    1. Agenda

    • International Mountain Bike Association

      • The meeting started off with Eric Lindberg asking the group if they wanted to be in the International Mountain Bike Association. The group took motion to approve and the motion was carried.

        • Scott Guyette raised the question that if we are going to be a part of IMBA then why don’t we also expand our group to surround counties? He says that we should (in the future) look into becoming an “Eastern/Western WV Club”.

        • Eric Lindberg responds to Scott by saying that if we did join with surrounding counties that our group would then have to split funds. He goes on to say that being a small group for now has its perks because we can keep the money that we raise.

    • Appointing Officers

      • A motion was made by Eric Lindberg to appoint Joanna Yates as secretary and Erica Engquist treasury. Vote: Motion carried.

    • Cost of Club

      • Eric Lindberg let everyone know the cost of being in the Pocahontas Trails club would be $50 for family membership and $30 for individuals.

    • Trail Work

      • The idea of logging our trail work into a spreadsheet was brought up by Scott Guyette.

        • Also, Scott Guyette offered to set up a Gmail account for Pocahontas Trails to get connected with Google so that everyone may log-in and track trail work hours.

    • Facebook

      • Philip Yates showed a quick mountain bike video in the meeting to bring up the importance of social media within our club. He also shared ideas on how we can get our “Poca. Trails” facebook page more “likes” by posting photos and other media to the page to share with the public. Everyone agreed that the more pictures and video of group rides and trail work will make other people want to get out and enjoy our cleaned trails. Thurston Willis tells everyone in the group that they need to be posting at least one picture each on the facebook page before the next meeting. He says we can really grow as a group if we get social media rolling in the right direction.

    • Snowshoe’s Support

      • The group brought up the importance of getting Snowshoe involved. We know that their endorsement is a must, because it’s a great way to get the word out beyond our community. So the next question was “How do we get Snowshoe’s Support?” Scott Guyette mentioned getting a marketing manager to one of our meetings in the near future. This also raised other questions such as; “If we clear trails for them, will we have their support?” and “Will someone come to Snowshoe just to ride cross country trails?”. And if we do continue to clean their cross country trials we need in writing that they will not tear down the trails like they have in the past.

    • Homeowners

      • This topic goes along with Snowshoe’s support because the homeowners are a part of the mountain. But how can we reach out to them and let them know that these trails will be in great condition to bike and hike on? Erica Engquist mentioned having a membership drive at Snowshoe on Memorial Weekend to promote our club to Snowshoe and the homeowners. Scott Guyette commented that we could set up the membership drive at western territory because it’s opening weekend for the bike park. Erica also mentioned that we should contact RADD (Snowshoe Property Owners) and let them know about our club.

      • We would need to contact Snowshoe to see if we can have a tent up on memorial weekend, Scott said we need to contact Missy Turley who is head of events at Snowshoe.

    • Membership

      • How does Pocahontas trails get more people involved? In the long term we need to think about getting local businesses involved and get them to become members. This raised another question- “What are people paying for with this membership?” Eric Lindberg answers with saying that they will get all the perks of being in IMBA once we join with them.

      • In the future we plan on having a logo with a sticker to give new members of our club, and possibly (Once we have enough money) we could give out T-shirts and other merchandise.

      • Scott Guyette brought up that we need to get a website started so that people can pay for their membership online. It’s more convenient and faster.

      • Darrell Grubb and Greg Moore mentioned doing a monthly event for Pocahontas Trails, like having a race down black cheery trail at the base trials. The prize would be a six pack of beer to whoever made it down the fasted.

      • Everyone in the group agrees that we need to get a logo as soon as possible to promote our club and having something to offer the public when they sing up for membership. Darrell Grubb and Eric Lindberg both say they will talk to Phil Duncan about getting started on a logo.

      • Eric Lindberg addresses a good point about communication between the group. Once we have more members, who do we want to communicate our ideas with? Greg Moore suggests having a “Pocahontas Trails Committee”, that way only certain members (the right members) know certain business. Scott Guyette says this is where our Gmail account will come in handy, because we can communicate with our small group instead of a widespread community.

    • Events

      • Races become the next topic of membership for the club; Scott Guyette and Greg Moore talk about getting involved with the Fat Tire 50 race that is sponsored by Elk River in the fall. Being a member will get you a discounted rate if you want to enter a race. Greg Moore says that he will get more information about joining with Elk River to sponsor the race by next meeting.

      • Erica Engquist says that we need to have more organized group trial rides that the community can join in on. She also gives the idea that we should set up a tent at local events such as; the Wild Rumpus ride at the NRAO. And maybe have another membership drive at the Fiddlehead or the Pretty Penny. Thurston Willis mentions that we should have a tent up at every Snowshoe event to get our name out to the public.

    • Long Term Goals

      • Everyone in the group agree that we should try to get in WV non- profit.

      • We should have sponsors for our group; Thurston Willis mentions maybe having a beer company sponsor us, such as Mountain State Brewery.

      • Eric Lindberg mentions having the support of surrounding homeowners such as Slatyfork farms.

      • Thurston Willis mentions have a Pocahontas trials tent up at the Barefoot event.

      • Scotty Guyette thinks we should look into planning a race event every six months. And maybe having an event the weekend after Snowshoe’s bike park closes, a cross country race.

      • Darrell Grubb mentions that we should reach out to local radio stations and newspapers to get our group recognized.

    1. Meeting End

    Meeting Schedule End: Pending

    Meeting Actual End: 9:00 PM

    1. Post Meeting Action Items

      Action

      Assigned To

      Deadline

      Google Docs for Trail Work/ Create a Gmail account

      Scott Guyette

      05/21/13

      Membership Drive-Talk to Missy Turley about setting up a tent Memorial Day Weekend.

      Joanna Yates

      05/21/13

      Start planning a race event date- Fat Tire 50

      Greg Moore

      05/21/13

      Erica Engquist assigned to club bank account

      Eric Lindberg

      05/21/13

      Pocahontas Trails joining with IMBA

      Eric Lindberg

      05/21/13

      1. Decisions Made

      • Pocahontas Trails joining with IMBA

      • Officers appointed

      1. Next Meeting

      Next Meeting: Dirt Bean Ohana ; May 21,2012 6:30 PM

       

Join Pocahontas Trails Sign Up